I’ve been asked often over the years, “what are the top characteristics found in the very best group fitness instructors and yoga teachers?”. So, what are the key attributes that set apart the true Difference Makers from the rest? It’s always good to reflect on this for ourselves personally so we can ask and answer the question, “how do I feel I’m measuring up to my own standards as a teaching professional?”. If it’s been a while since you’ve done this, let’s do it together…
After over 25 years of teaching, managing and training instructors, I’ve been blessed to teach alongside, lead and work with the best of the best. And, although there are more than I share here, below is a list of what I consider the ‘Top 10’ characteristics that are found in the very best of our industry.
Check out the list then join me LIVE for just 10 minutes a day for 10 days @ 10am PST starting January 10th on the Make A Difference Academy Facebook page (all “10s” for easy recall). Each day, we’ll do a deep dive on one of the 10 characteristics I’ve shared below. I hope you’ll join the conversation!
Then, I’d love to have you continue to join me LIVE on the MADA FB page every Thursday at 10am PST for more “Inspired Thoughts” from my heart to yours in hopes of lifting up your day. And know that I’m happy to chat about anything you’d like – just send your questions/topics to me!
Okay, if you REALLY make a difference with what you do, let’s look at some characteristics that will ensure it…
For starters – let’s just say that being a Leader is one for sure because if you’re going to step in front of a group of people to teach, you have to be willing to lead, first and foremost. But that’s a bit too obvious; so, let’s go with…
10. Passionate – They feel strongly about what they do. They’re enthusiastic and aren’t afraid to be emotionally connected to teaching. They see teaching as a calling, not a job. They know it is part of their purpose.
9. Kind-hearted – They genuinely want to make a positive impact on people from a place of empathy, compassion and love.
8. Confident – They have a strong inner perception and knowing of their ability as a teacher. They are so confident in their ability, they’re able to be the next two on the list…
7. Present – They are fully present and engaged with participants when teaching. They notice what’s going on in the room and use that information to coach, be flexible and provide the best possible experience, moment by moment.
6. Authentic – They are courageous enough to just be themselves. They know that when they show up in the fullness of who they are, it gives others permission to do the same.
5. Engaging – They are human connectors and enjoy building relationships with people. They genuinely make others feel good about themselves when in their classes which causes people to come back for more over and over.
4. Positive – They take a positive approach when teaching and are known for having an optimistic disposition. They do their best to detach from judgments and criticisms of any kind because they know that these only limit them from make the greatest positive impact on those they serve.
3. Inspired – They are not so much “motivated”, which insinuates an external influence; but, instead are “inspired” from the inside to teach. When acting from inspiration, we truly lift people up and make a positive impact.
2. Growth-focused – They always consider themselves a “student first”. Not only are they foundationally trained and certified, they continually stay open and on the lookout for opportunities that will provide learning and growth. They consistently evaluate and evolve as a part of their role as a teacher.
1. Self-Aware – They’ve taken what I call “the inward journey” which allows them to be grounded and at peace from within. And, for this reason, they know to prioritize self-care first to ensure they’re healthy from the inside out to be able to serve as a great role model for others.
Maybe some of these are on your list. Time to check in with yourself and make sure you’re making the most out of the platform you have as the beautiful teacher you are!
Much love to you always, Difference Maker!
Know Yourself. Love Yourself. BE Yourself!
Together, we are stronger. Together and aligned, we are limitless!